That Labor Day cookout is just around the corner. Is your deck ready? Wooden decks get a lot of abuse from the elements (especially in Indiana), so cleaning and refinishing are key to proper maintenance. These tips will help you keep your deck looking nicer and lasting longer!
- Clean your deck thoroughly. Get rid of grime and goop. Don’t forget to wear gloves and a mask – many of these cleaners contain harsh chemicals!
- Apply a cleaner to entire deck surface and follow the instructions carefully.
- Wash it down with a pressure washer, but be careful not to hold the nozzle too close or you can damage the wood. They are not called pressure or power washers for nothing, folks!
- Consider a deck scrubber (power washer attachment) to clean larger, open areas of your deck.
- Perform necessary repairs. Replace any missing screws or damaged boards, drive protruding nails so they are flush, and smooth rough spots with a sander.
- Stain your deck. Once dried, use a tinted stain or sealer for a fresh, new look!
- Sit back, relax, and enjoy your deck!
Wooden decks do require a bit of maintenance but once completed, the investment in time and materials is well worth it!